AXW – Can you tell us about the source material of this film?
SG- Absolutely. The baby book that I use in my film was found on 13th street in Philly. A house looked like it was getting gutted and all these trash bags were out in front of it. My friend Frank and I were headed to class when we saw the bags. I started digging around a found some clothes, handmade cassette mixes, papers, books, and, eventually, the baby book. It was with all the other books and some sort of tin-dish take away had been emptied out on top of it. Some of the audio from those tapes and clothing material ended up in the piece as well.
AXW – Its seems that social criticism is part of this work–do you care to comment on that aspect of it?
SG- The woman in the baby book looked like someone I could have known and hung out with. I’m at the age where people I’m friends with have started having children and becoming moral compasses from other people. I don’t know if anyone is really ever ready for that responsibility.
Another Experiment by Women Film Festival promotes and screens moving images in any media, made by women, that encourage critical thinking and dialogue.
News & Screenings:
- Berger Nissen (Expanded Cinema Performance) June 13
- Olivia Ciummo & Tara Merenda Nelson in PSYCHIC PANIC
- underground film journal (dot) com
- Issue #2 NON/FICTIONS ISSUE of CANYON CINEMAGAZINE, featurCANYON CINEMAGAZINE’s article on AXW Panel Discussion by COURTNEY FELLON
- CLAUDIA SIEFEN’s film – BEEN WAITING FOR YOU SO LONG- at M°BA CENTRAAL from June 9 – July 21, 2013
- 12/7/12 – AMERICAN DREAMS / NIGHTMARES curated by Noe Kidder
- 12/ 8 /12- JOEY HUERTAS AKA JANE PUBLIC AND SUZANA STANKOVIC at Mono No Aware
- 12/13, 14,15 – Lynne Sachs’ “Your Day is My Night”